Not too shy to talk
From New Zealand
Level : 4
HP : 0 / 89
MP : 11 / 3285
EXP : 59
Group:
Members
Hi Annie, I work on the waterfront. No I haven't found out what the new spiders were. We were unloading Cars from a shipping container. We had to spray the whole container with insecticide and then wait a few hours to make sure they were all dead.

We capture any insects/animals were see in case they are not "native" to New Zealand, I think we are a bit stricter on animal imports since we are an island (it is easier to keep things out). I know Australia is strict too. Many of our birds in NZ are (flightless,harmless and defenceless). Our only lethal creature is the Katipo spider (I have never seen one) and I think they are becoming rarer.
Melissa
Posted on: 2005/8/1 22:14
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: Eight legged Aussies
The Boss
From
Level : 23
HP : 0 / 573
MP : 231 / 21219
EXP : 95
Group:
Webmasters
Hi Melissa, it sounds like you have a very important job, as you say it is very important to restrict unwanted visitors. I have never heard of the Katipo spider, is it on the dangerous list, I mean dangerous to us. In Scotland I never saw spiders that came close to any here they were all small. When my father wrote to me from Australia and told me about some spiders being as big as the palm of his hand I said that is it I am not going to Australia, but here I am 41 years later, I still freak out if I get any in the house and do my best to show them the door. It is sugested that if you find a Funnel web to try and catch it and put it in a jar and take it to the hospital as they milk it for the venom and then make a vaccine. Thank you for the information it is good then people back home will learn more about down under both NZ and Aus., they tell me the weather in NZ is a bit like Scotland. Looking forward to more chats and exchange of information about all sorts of things. Ann
Posted on: 2005/8/2 6:56
  •  Kdylass
      Kdylass
Just can't stay away
From
Level : 7
HP : 0 / 164
MP : 25 / 6092
Group:
Members
Hey Melissa, that certainly does sound like a fascinating job, as well as being an extremely important one.
Just have to tell you, I was thinking of you the other day. My husband likes to think of himself as something of an accent expert and there was this lady speaking on TV. Just as he said "Now there's a typical Aussie accent", it popped up that she came from NZ. I wish you could have seen his face.
That's when I thought of you, because you're the only person from NZ that I know.
Posted on: 2005/8/6 0:48
  •  Melmax
      Melmax
Not too shy to talk
From New Zealand
Group:
Members
Hi Annie and Kdylass, Yes the Katipo spider is fatal if it bites you - I'm so glad they are hard to find! I am sure that we could get antivenom from Australia for spider bites and snakebites in New Zealand if we had too.

The weather here in Auckland is cold at night but getting much warmer during the day, so I have been getting away with lighting the fire after 5pm.

I am not sure how like Scotland, New Zealand is. I know alot of Scots, Irish and English came out here before 1850.
The Bay of Islands were I was born is sub-tropical, we grow alot of Kiwifruit and Oranges.

Around Lake Taupo, it can be the coldest place in New Zealand, water pipes freeze on the houses and hotels.
The South Island had huge mountain ranges and glaciers.

Kdylass, I hate to tell you but there are so many New Zealanders living in Australia I think we are getting them to sound like us! When my husband and I are in Australia we are always asked were we are living in Australia! We are supposed to sound like Victorians.

I can tell if a Scottish person is not from Fife. My Grandmother from Kirkcaldy never lost her accent, she had only been home once since 1940!
Melissa
Posted on: 2005/8/6 22:22
The Boss
From
Level : 23
HP : 0 / 573
MP : 231 / 21219
EXP : 95
Group:
Webmasters
Hi Melissa ,do you know where in Kirkcaldy your grandmother lived, and how old she was when she went to NZ?. Like your grandmother our accent does not seem to go away and I am glad, but we are asked all the time if we are just on holiday, and when we say no we have lived here for 41 years people are surprised.
The weather beside you sound like what we are getting at the moment cold at night and warmer during the day. The last few days and nights have been very crisp, but the light is getting better it is not getting dark till around 5-45 at night, I love daylight saving.
Do you have any photos of the spider in question. Or any photos you could post showing us NZ, if you like you can start a photo gallery, if you wopuld like to just let me know and I will fix it up. Ann.
Posted on: 2005/8/6 23:00
  •  Melmax
      Melmax
Not too shy to talk
From New Zealand
Group:
Members
Hi Annie, my grandmothers family lived in High Street Kirkcaldy. Her fathers name was James Wemyss, her brother Peter Wemyss and one of her sisters Jessie Wemyss.

She was 20 when she came out to New Zealand, she told me that she came on a ship called "The Stirling Castle"during WW2. I know we still have family in Kircaldy but Mum and Dad don't rember their surnames. I think we used to get a Christmas card up until recently from Betty Hendry (she may be Betty Wemyss, another sister) but she would be quite elderly.

I think my uncle visited Zandra Wemyss in Kirkcaldy but she is married an I don't know her new surname. She would be too young to know Andrew Clark or Jessie Clark, I would love to know what happened to them after WW1.

I have not learnt how to post pictures yet, one of the guys at my work is going to explain it to me - and I have a book.
My parents only just got a digital camera and I have not been to see them yet to have a go. I sure I'll get it figured out soon.

The Katipo spider looks more like a Redback only it has a white dot in the center of its back. They are terrifically hard to find - I think they like sandy area's with lots of tree litter.
Melissa
Posted on: 2005/8/8 14:08
  •  keith
      keith
Emeritus Professor
From Kirkcaldy
Level : 10
HP : 0 / 249
MP : 47 / 9214
EXP : 97
Group:
Members
Here in the UK it is said that we have no poisonous spiders. A few of them can raise a weal on tender skin if confined but nothing even as bad as a wasp sting. The largest spider that most people in the UK will come into contact with is the giant house spider (Tegenaria gigantea) and that is harmless. I have attached a photo of one on my hall carpet - I was going to call it 'Ozzy' but it is a female.

Interestingly, a smaller relative of this spider that is found in the UK (Tegenaria agrestis) is also considered harmless. It does not invade houses and so seldom comes into contact with humans. In the USA, this same spider has adapted to living in homes and therefore comes into contact with humans more readily. It is known there as the 'Hobo Spider' and is considered poisonous. I don't know if this is an evolutionary development that has made it poisonous, or whether it is just that it has much more oportunity to bite humans in its new adoptive home.

WARNING: Arachnophobes should look away now.

Attached file: jpg  spider 640x480.jpg (127.05 KB)

28_42f7e624d8647.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2005/8/8 16:06
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456>

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.

Recent Topics

Most Viewed Forum Topics

Forum Topic Replies Views Last Post
Scottish Dishes recipes to share    [1][2][3]...[16] 110 114240 2016/12/28 20:23
Annie 
Domestic bliss I tawt I taw a putty tat..., local fauna and flora    [1][2][3]...[13] 84 94585 2007/12/25 14:28
bettyboop2544 
My Holidays your favourite holiday    [1][2][3]...[13] 84 91119 2007/8/16 19:39
Annie 
International Dishes recipes to share    [1][2][3]...[11] 74 84700 2016/1/20 2:04
Annie 
Food for thought... Eight legged Aussies    [1][2][3]...[6] 39 63031 2007/1/21 2:37
Annie 
Domestic bliss High views in Dysart, from the top of St Serf's Tower    [1][2][3]...[6] 36 59197 2006/5/20 17:35
Annie 
New Kirkcaldy Book web site updates. KB SITE UPDATES & NEW SECTIONS    [1][2][3]...[5] 30 57839 2006/6/17 20:25
Annie 
Domestic bliss Dysart New Developments    [1][2][3][4] 26 54145 2008/1/4 9:46
Dysartian 
Drop in for a cuppa.. A nice day, summer on the way    [1][2][3][4] 26 47962 2005/8/2 7:21
Annie 
Drop in for a cuppa.. Family Tree Research, Marshalls from Kirkcaldy    [1][2][3] 17 44175 2006/1/7 4:04
Annie 
Copyright © 1999-2012 The Kirkcaldy Book      HOME | FORUM | CONTACT | THEME BY XOOPS FACTORY